Monday, February 10, 2014

Motivation-The Meaning

mo·ti·va·tion
: the act or process of giving someone a reason for doing something : the act or process of motivating someone
: the condition of being eager to act or work : the condition of being motivated
: a force or influence that causes someone to do something

This provides us, in the most simplest form, the definition of motivation (credit: Websters Online Dictionary).

From a psychology student's point of view, motivation is the emotional, biological, psychological and social forces that aid us in reaching our goals. Our behavior according to motivation is goal oriented. If we learn to utilize our motivation to its fullest, we will be more likely to achieve those goals. 

For me, Andrea, in order for us to achieve our goals in life we must be persistent, motivation needs to be constant and often intense. For me when I get up in the morning I have my workout gear laid out so I know I have to get moving. Seeing that specific clothing on the floor is the first motivation of my day. Second would be the task I have put upon myself of finding a motivational quote to send to Tuesday each morning. These things help me through my day and as of right now I am on day 35 of working out every day!

What Andrea said about being persistent is so important, and this is where most people, myself included, most often fail with staying on top of workouts. Motivation is key, but that motivation needs to be, like she said, constant and intense. Having waves of being motivated and waves of being unmotivated aren't going to get you very far. If anything, those waves are just going to bring on many days where you feel defeated or like you've failed yourself.

Like Andrea, I also have very specific things that I need to do to keep myself motivated. The first thing I do every morning is a quick, simple workout right after I wake up just to get my body moving and blood flowing (I'll post it below). As small is it seems, doing just that workout makes me feel like I've accomplished something first thing in the morning, and that's a good feeling and trust me...it's a much better way to start the morning than laying in bed and pressing snooze (though I have my days where I'm also guilty of that). You instantly feel more motivated and more energized. The second thing I do is I bring my running shoes to work with me and force myself to be on the treadmill during my half hour break. It's not hard for me to squeeze snacks in throughout the day, but this is a way that I can make sure I get a little extra cardio in during the days where I have a super busy schedule after work. The third thing that keeps me motivated daily is Andrea and I exchanging motivational sayings each day. Some people seem to be easy to motivate naturally, but for some of us it's a lot more difficult. For me, seeing motivational quotes and pictures everyday keeps the messages they convey fresh in my mind so I can stay more driven! 

No comments:

Post a Comment